got milk?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day 4: Cain and Abel

Genesis 4:1-26, NIV

I guess maybe Cain wasn't giving God the best of the best...

"But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.'"

How could Cain do something like murder his own brother over something like a rejected offering? I mean, sometimes I feel like I almost hate my brother, but I could never even consider doing something like what Cain did. And hasn't Cain by now figured out that God knows everything? He lies to Him!

If Cain wasn't allowed to be killed, that was sort of like...exile, a jail sentence, isolation, without parole...right? And so no one who found him would kill him...therefore, there must be people other than just Adam and Eve?

I'm kinda shuddering to think that Cain's wife would've been a sister...would she? And that they were grown men (he had a wife) when he went and killed his brother, unless there are huge time lapses in here or something.

The names Lamech and Zillah seem familiar...probably from Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle.

2 Comments:

  • I think Cain probably did marry his sister. Then Why were his brothers and sisters way off in the wilderness? I wonder how many kids Adam and Eve had?

    By Blogger gabe, at 1:19 p.m.  

  • They must have had a whole bunch. With only Cain and Abel, repopulation wouldn't have been possible. For that reason, back then it was okay, even necessary, to marry relatives.

    By Blogger Kaeli, at 1:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home